Knowing whether or not someone likes you can be difficult. If you’re afraid to ask them, there are a few things you can look out for that may be signs the other person is into you.
Watching Body Language
Understand body language. 93% of all communication is nonverbal. This is broken down to their tone of voice, face, body, and finally their words. Men and women share some forms of body language, but also have specific subconscious signals they’ll give off if they like you.
Detect a woman’s signals.
Women are capable of over fifty signals conveyed through body language. While not all of these will be able to be detected, there are a few recognizable quirks you can find. Some of the bigger indicators to look for on a date or in conversation is:
- She’ll pull up her sleeves and expose her wrist. This is a good signal, and most women are unaware that they do this. This exposes one of the more tender and sensitive parts of the body.
- She will try to close the distance between you in some way. This can be done in many ways like moving her drink or a menu closer to you.
- She’ll find a way to touch you. Some women will do this smoothly. For example she says “come here” and she’ll show you an app on her phone. Then when you’re near your bodies may touch.
Detect a man’s signals.
Men are less equipped with a range in body language. One signal to watch out for is when the guy pushes his shoulders back and directs his breath to his chest. Another strange one is when a guy puts his fingers through his belt loops like a cowboy.
Watch for eye contact.
Eye contact is the universal body language clue that can communicate so much. Both men and women will use eye contact when they like someone. Try not to hold contact for too long, or else you might ruin the mystique around it. The biggest give away is if he looks at you and you both hold eye contact for a moment and suddenly look away.
Detecting Friends’ Feelings
Realize friends can become “more than friends.” This is a common pattern to occur. People oftentimes think they are only friends, while one of them develops intense feelings for the other.
Watch for a few clear signs.
- Here are some signs that a friend has fallen for you:
- Touching your shoulders and ask for hugs.
- Offering their sweater or coat in a chivalrous way.
- Making jokes about the people/person you are dating.
- Inviting you over more often.
- Kissing you on the cheek or asking for kisses on the cheek.
- Asking who you like, a lot.
Watch for insecurities.
This may go with all types of attraction, but it especially happens in a friend dynamic. They might check your reactions to things consistently. For example, they’ll look at you to see if you laugh when they make a joke.
Be careful if you hear them talk about insecurities in their appearance. They might be self-deprecating and compare themselves to someone you find attractive.
Have a talk.
If you find that you actually like them, then that is great and you should tell them. If, on the other hand, you just want to be friends, you’ll need to be careful.
Honesty is the best policy. Don’t tiptoe around the elephant in the room. Be upfront about the way you feel and how much you appreciate your friendship.